What is the Fiji Matai Programme?
The Fiji Matai Programme is the destination training programme for travel industry personnel involved in selling or promoting Fiji.
What does ‘Matai’ mean?
‘Matai’ in Fijian means to be knowledgeable or to be an expert in something.
Why sell Fiji?
Fiji is the ideal tropical getaway, with sparkling surf, stunning beaches, pleasant climate, world-class diving, international standard accommodation, exciting dining and vibrant cultures, where you will be greeted with some of the warmest smiles you will ever see. Fiji is a destination you will enjoy coming back to again and again.
Who can become a Matai Agent?
Anyone can register with the programme to become a Matai Agent.
What are the benefits of being a Matai Agent?
You will receive e-newsletters with industry updates from Fiji and your local region.
Who can become a Matai Specialist?
Anyone within the travel industry can become a Matai Specialist by completing the four online training modules. You will also need to complete two online refresher modules per annum to retain your specialist status.
What are the benefits of being a Matai Specialist?
You will receive the same benefits as a Matai Agent, plus:
- Your greater knowledge of Fiji will help your sales of the destination
- Invitations to our exclusive Matai Famil Programmes available in your Region
- Access to Matai Incentives Programmes in your Region which will reward you for your promotions and business to Fiji
- You will be able to download a certificate acknowledging that you are expert in Fiji
- If you are a frontliner seller, you will be able to download a ‘happiness specialist’ logo to use in your own promotional material
- If you are a frontliner seller, you can have your contact details placed on our consumer site Fiji.travel
- Note, both the certificate and happiness specialist logo will show the current year so your clients can be assured they’re talking to someone who is truly up-to-date with Fiji
Who can be listed as a Matai Specialist on our consumer website www.fiji.travel?
Any Specialist who sells directly to consumers can choose to be listed on Tourism Fiji’s consumer website at www.fiji.travel/matai-agents. This includes:
- Frontline Travel Agents
- Travel Brokers
- Airline Reservations Consultants
What will it cost to enrol in the programme?
It will cost you nothing to enrol in the Matai programme, only a little of your time.
How do I register for the programme?
Simply click on ‘Register’ at the top of the page and fill out the registration details. Once completed, you are ready to begin your discovery of Fiji.
How long will it take to complete the online training?
This is entirely up to you. You may complete the course at your own pace, but remember the sooner you complete all the modules, the sooner you can enjoy the many benefits of being a Matai Specialist.
What does the online training involve?
There are five modules which must be completed:
- Module 1: BULA! – Fiji Welcomes You - contains general information about Fiji, how to get there, Entry requirements, Getting around Fiji; Quick Guide to Fiji
- Module 2: Regions - contains a quick overview, key selling points, getting there, places to stay & things to do. Nadi & Denarau – The Coral Coast – Pacific Harbour & Outlying Islands - Suva – The Sun Coast
- The Mamanucas – The Yasawa Group – The North Vanua Levu & Taveuni – Eastern Division – Kadavu Island – Central District Levuka
- Module 3: Culture & Traditions learn about our unique culture and heritage, History & Legends, Village Life, Arts & Crafts, Village Visits
- Module 4: The Experiences – learn why Fiji is so popular for family holidays, weddings & honeymoons, adventure seekers, and volunteer holidays.
At the end of each module is a set of 15 questions. Please read through the modules carefully, as you will need to answer 13 questions correctly to complete each module.
What do I need to do to remain an active Matai Specialist?
Your Matai Specialist status is valid for one year from the date of completion, after which you will be required to take a refresher module. This module will be made available after 10 months and upon completion your status will be renewed for another year from your anniversary date. If you do not complete the refresher module within the year, you will lose your Specialist status until such time as you do complete it.
What if my details change?
If any of your details change including your contact details or place of work, please update these in your Profile. Remember the Specialist status belongs to you and not your company so if you move, it moves with you.
Can I remove myself from your mailing list?
Tourism Fiji is committed to respecting your privacy. If you no longer wish to receive our e-newsletters, simply click the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of the e-newsletters. Please note you will still receive system emails regarding your account.